Sorry I haven't posted in a while! This can be blamed on: 1) too
much working/traveling/visitors, 2) some of the keys on my laptop keyboard have
mysteriously become uncooperative—namely letters x, c, v, m, and q (it’s hard
to talk about cash flow without the letter c--but never fear! a frugal solution
was found in an unused USB keyboard!), and 3) I am pretty sure I only have
about 5 readers at this point—so to you, faithful reader, I will continue to
bestow my (non)wisdom!
Do you keep your receipts? I never did. Whenever I was asked
if I wanted a copy of my receipt, I thought of the paper wasted and always
declined. When my statements came through I figured I always remember what I
spent. Those that were forced upon me became crumpled bits of paper in the bottom
of my purse for scribbling notes or wrapping up gum that had outlived its
usefulness (random fact: the average lifespan of gum in my mouth is about 10
minutes). But now receipts have their own special place that borders on
reverence—the Magical Money Monster wallet:
Say what? Don’t worry, we’ll get there.
So, today we are going to talk about the “B” word, which
some people think is a dirty word. Not me. I love budgets. Budgets are
beautiful. Streamlined. Organized. Granted, I am not your average person. But
budgets make me feel like I have some semblance of control over my money. I won’t
go over the specifics of budgeting in detail, but it is basically a plan for your
money. You figure out what you earn on a monthly basis, figure out what your
monthly expenses are, and then decide where the money should go. There are many
ways to do this. I like to use Excel because at some point in my life I figured
out how to use the E3:E7 – B2:B5 technology, and this
is the only real world application I can find for it. Or you can just write it all down on a piece
of paper.
You of course have the necessary categories, like housing
and utilities and car payments and such. We list our savings category first so
we take it seriously. Then we have other categories like fun money and vet
bills and car maintenance. And then we spend money according to our budget and
it all works out perfectly, right?
Ha ha. As if! (Did
you hear Alicia Silverstone there?)
The budget is just the plan. I am great at planning. The
cash flow is the execution (if you are like me and hardly ever use cash,
consider it the digitized monetary flow)—where is the money actually going? This part I am not so good at. We have a beautiful budget that I like to
gaze at longingly when I am feeling pretty idealistic. But cash flow—cash flow
represents reality. Nothing busts
a budget faster than cash flow. And our cash flow has been a catastrophic train
wreck.
With our perfect budget we figured out that we would have
about $250 left over every month. We called this “ancillary money” and used it
to cover those unexpected expenses that life throws at you. You know, like
buying trash bags. And that random screw you needed to fix the door. A trip to
urgent care. Eating out when we felt like it. Those cute socks at Target.
Ancillary became a catch all. And it started costing way more than $250. But we
didn’t know this because we had no concept of cash flow.
We would simply get the credit card statement every month
and my stomach would fall to my ankles a little. Then mild panic would set in. I
started going through the transactions thinking “this can’t be right!” But it
was. After the spending amnesia that occurs as you are actively spending money,
I remembered every last transaction. We were still paying off our credit card
every month, but sometimes it meant dipping into our savings to cover it. You know, using our savings to pay for
things like ice cream. Ouch.
Then we’d “buckle down” for a while and eat canned beans and
never hang out with our friends and get a little bit of control back. This
would last for about 2 weeks before we really started hating life. Then, since
things were back in “control”, we’d ease back into our old ways and start the
cycle all over again. A retroactive cash flow study (i.e. where did the money go?)
helped us see that our spending was sometimes out of control. But it didn’t do
much to change our behavior in a way that was helpful or sustainable.
We needed to know where our money
was going. Here. Now. In the present. So here is the secret to cash flow. Are you
ready for it? It has taken financial gurus centuries to come up with this
little nugget, so you may want to sit down:
Write
down or otherwise record every penny you spend. Every. Last. Cent.
That’s it. It’s easy but tedious.
Hard but not complicated. But it serves two purposes: 1) you actually know what
your money is doing in real time, and 2) it makes you think about what you are
buying as you are buying it (no more spending amnesia).
In
short, it’s like lifting the fog off of your bank account. Before you could kind
of see what was happening, but without clear vision it was pretty easy to miss
that curve and go careening off of the road. When you get rid of the fog, you
may still go flying off of the curve, but at least you can brace yourself for
the impact. We are still hitting several trees (sorry, trees!), but it’s doing
a lot less damage.
Now, you can carry a handy
notebook and record things with the tried and true paper method. You can use a
fancy app and enter transactions in real time. There is probably some magic
where you can scan your receipts and your smartphone will do it for you. I personally made myself a very sophisticated
Magical Money Monster wallet with some duct tape and cardboard (see above—I know,
I’m weird) that eats my receipts until I get home and faithfully enter them
into my YNAB software (www.youneedabudget.com
–if you haven’t checked this out, you should—it’s beautiful). But it is vital
to know where your money is going before you can tell it how to work for you.
Some people will say that all of
this is too much work. I guess it can be, especially in the beginning. But in
actuality it only takes me about 30 minutes a week. And it is a heck of a lot
less work than the damage control money-shuffling that happens when I
overspend. All because I wanted some ice cream.
Now every receipt I collect makes
things a little less foggy, which makes everything a little bit clearer. Plus
the Magical Money Monster gets fed (nobody likes a hangry monster). Like us,
you will probably still go off the road when life throws you a curve. But you’ll
go off a little bit slower. A little bit more prepared. That’s okay. Be nice to yourself. Just by being honest
with your spending you are making great progress. Soon your idealism and your reality will be (mostly) the same. You’ll be able to smooth through those curves
without all of the drama. So make yourself a special monster wallet. Or download a fancy app. Or just use a scraggly piece of paper. Be nice. But be honest. Your budget will thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment